Project Type: Standard Product
Title: EMPEROR™ CLEATS & FLEXI-STRAP™ USED IN SUNRISE WIND OFFSHORE WIND FARM Situation:
- The Sunrise Wind Offshore Wind Farm in the USA is a groundbreaking project to deliver renewable electricity to nearly 600,000 households by 2025, utilising a high-voltage direct current (HVDC) system.
- This significant step toward New York’s clean energy goals required a global collaboration of renewable energy leaders, with Aker Solutions and Siemens Energy overseeing the project.
- The Sunrise Wind project involved the manufacture of modules in Romania and Norway, with onshore civil work in the United States in partnership with local companies.
- Global supply capabilities were essential to meet the project requirements and timelines.
- The offshore converter station, responsible for collecting 66 kV alternating current (AC) power from the wind turbines, relied on a robust subsea export cable spanning 100 miles to connect to the onshore converter station at Holbrook on Long Island. The onshore converter station plays a vital role in converting the power back to AC before distributing clean energy to homes, industries, and other end-users across New York.
- To ensure the highest safety standards and effective cable management on the offshore platform, Ellis closely collaborated with Aker Solutions’ Design Team in the UK.
- The complexity of being able to supply a high level of short circuit protection over such a long distance involved detailed analysis and testing.
- Using a combination of Ellis’s high-performance Emperor™ cable cleats and Flexi-Straps™ provided an economical solution to the high-short circuit protection required for this challenging offshore environment.
- These were delivered through their Norwegian distributor, Procab A/S, to secure and support cables.
- The assurance of Ellis’s expertise and experience in supplying some of the world’s largest and most complex offshore wind farms played a significant part in the success of the project.